Monday, August 28, 2006

Schug (Middle Eastern hot pepper sauce)

1 lb peppers - mix hot and sweet to your taste, but go with one color family (red or green) so the sauce will have a good vibrant color
5-6 cloves fresh garlic, peeled
1 1/2 T cumin
black pepper and salt to taste
olive oil to cover

optional:
fresh cilantro, cardamom, and/or lemon juice

Throw peppers and garlic into a food processor and purée. Add spices and pulse a few times to mix. Store the mixture in a glass jar and cover with olive oil. Refrigerate.

Recipe from Apartment Therapy: The Kitchen

Notes
I used 2 large sweet red peppers (which I roasted and peeled), several red and yellow banana peppers, one red jalapeno, and 1 orange habanero (from my garden!). All peppers were seeded. I added a couple tablespoons of fresh lemon juice and a good strong pinch of salt. It's fantastic! It could even be a little hotter - I'm thinking about throwing it back in the food processor with another habanero! Though as it is, it has a delicious spicy garlic flavor and I can HEAP it on pita bread. If I make it hotter it'll become something to use just a dash of... we'll see.

5 red hot stars!

No comments: